If you do not have an DEFRA approved / exempt appliance and live in a Smoke Control Area you can continue to use the unauthorised appliance but only if using an authorised smokeless fuel. To know what fuel can be burned in an exempt appliance, look at the manufacturer’s instructions.

For a list of Authorised Fuels for use in England visit DEFRA.